Thursday, March 23, 2017

Being Robbed, Being Found

My heart started racing the second I saw my backpack’s zip open, and even though I frantically looked through all the pockets, deep inside I knew that my wallet had been stolen. In that moment yesterday, with hundreds of people teeming all around me at the Delhi Metro station, I felt alone... very alone. My personal space violated. My sense of freedom associated with money, gone.

I went to the nearest guard/police and narrated my story, but I was handed off from one official to another; with a reprimand, “Aap ko careful rehna chahiye tha madam.” (You should have been careful Madam)

By then my mind had started imagining the thief’s identity: a young man, with swift, darting eyes, a sly smile and a self-congratulatory attitude. I was sinking in a swamp of self-pity, asking myself, “What did I ever do to harm this person, why has he placed me in this mess?”

I eventually found my way to the Police Control Room dazzling with banks of CCTV screens. For a couple of seconds relief permeated through me, hoping that they would look at the CCTV footage, find the thief and my ordeal would be over. Ah! But reality is usually different! I was told to go to another Police Station to file a FIR, start an investigation and only then would the police start the process of checking the footage. I sank into a broken chair while they told me, “Madam bhool jao, kaun dhoondega chor ko? Aap aage ke liye khyaal rakho ab.” (Madam, forget it, who is going to look for the thief? Just be careful in the future now.)

I walked back into the crowds with tears stinging my eyes, uncertain of what to do next, trying to reach Ashim in USA. The weight of all the perceived and real frustrations of living and working in India plummeting on me like a row of dominoes set into motion. Talking to Ashim brought some calm, but anxiety was once again paramount while recollecting the specific credit and debit cards, Indian and US ids in the wallet. While Gautam and Ashim took over the chore of cancelling all the cards, ordering replacements, placing fraud alerts on my accounts; I looked around once again noticing the people oblivious to my tears.

I finally sat in the Metro train to head over to Gurgaon. Something about closing my eyes in the moving train allowed me to separate myself from my journey. I realized that my few hours sans the security of my cards and cash, had rendered me a small glimpse into the vulnerability millions of penniless people feel while facing life every day. My hurt at the indifference around me brought to the forefront the many instances, when I might have ignored offering comfort to another being. My families rallying around me guided me towards gratitude for all that I have.

And then… I was able to breathe out my self-pity and my anger; take in a few composed breaths and send my love to the ‘swift and sly person’ who stole my wallet and hoped that the money does him good.

3 Comments:

Blogger 4world said...

Anu,

When I told my mom, she was extremely hurt and was in tears for your ordeal. Her words, "What pity -- it was on a lady serving society. It was an attack on her soul, how painful!!"

I agreed that the loss of money and inconvenience of replacing the cards/IDs is peanuts compared to the blow on one's personal liberties and sense of security.

But I comforted her saying that individuals do not reap all that they sow because some of us are randomly handed the fruits of collective wrongdoing.

I said to her that the attacker(s) might even be college graduate(s) who couldn't find job(s) because the failed economic system only cares about profits not goodness. The youth's parents may have put their sweat and blood money to educate their kid in one of the zillions 'for-profit' colleges that care nothing about education except to pocket the tuition fees. How can we be angry at the youth(s) who carried out the attack!

It is all of us who do not go to vote, do not question our elected and appointed officials for improving the rotten system who are to blame. The Delhi Police's reprimand on you reflects their stupidity but the constable's superiors (up to Commissioner of Police and beyond) are more dumb who do not help their juniors understand.

I admire the work you are doing with the courage you exhibit every time I think of it. Take the unbounded joy out of that and this roadbump will appear trivial. Though, do take greater precautions for the future considering the system doesn't work.

- Ashim

March 23, 2017 at 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anu Ji,

There are bigger happiness and satisfaction in store for you !!!

Hope you will receive it soon :)

-
From one of the many person you inspired.

March 24, 2017 at 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Brenda said...

So nice of you to share your experience. We all will learn from it, also to be more careful and additionally to be more empathetic.

Love
Brenda

March 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home