Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Feel Like Breaking Something?

Mera desh mahaan, log phir bhi pareshan
My country is great, but the people are still upset/unhappy

Dekho, magar sirf pyar se
You may look at me, but do so only with love

Thand rakh, ai bhi pass ho jana hai
Stay cool, this too will pass

Duniya gol hae, phir milenge, ta-ta, bye, bye
The earth is round, we’ll meet again, ta-ta, bye

Rab hi malik hae
God is the boss

The above would evoke a sense of ‘déjà vu’ in anyone who has traversed some roads in India.   Such avowals, and plenty more philosophical and comical ones, are painted on auto rickshaws, trucks, and buses throughout the country.   Reading these and pondering their relevance to life is a pursuit that helps keep my mind off traffic and pollution.

Another very common declaration on auto rickshaws is “Buri nazar wale, tera moonh kala”, which translates to, “To the one with the evil eye, may your face be blackened”.   In the Indian culture a face is blackened to insult an individual.   However, walking to my hotel in Dehradun I saw a parked auto rickshaw that said-

Buri nazar wale, tera bhi bhala ho
To the one with the evil eye, may you be blessed as well.

I stopped.   I read the saying again.   This was a first for sure! A diminutive smile sprung on my lips.   I chuckled. In spite of the blazing sun overhead, I felt a wisp of cool shade find its way to my heart.  

I went over the auto rickshaw person.   “Where to?” he asked,   I answered, “I don’t really need to go anywhere, but may I speak with you for a minute?” He looked at me quizzically through his over-sized sun glasses, shifted a bit in his bright red, skin-tight, transparent shirt that showed off his bulging biceps.   Then ignoring me, he started digging under his extra-long hot-pink painted pinky with a screw driver.   I repeated my question and he shrugged his shoulder nonchalantly; reminding me of my teenager saying, “What ever.”

Deciding to get to the point, I asked him, “This saying written on your auto, did you get it painted?”

“Yes, why?” he quipped.

“I found it very interesting.   What made you change the ‘black face’ one to this one?”

He laughed.   The sun glasses came off.   I could see his large black eyes lighten up.   “Madam ji, I like breaking things. I broke my parents dream when I dropped out of school.   I break a bottle of alcohol every night.   I break the hearts of girls in this city.   I break the bodies of people who mess with me.   This time I decided to break something different- the chain”.  

I reminded myself to breathe.   And asked, “Break which chain ji?”   The ‘ji’ tumbled out on its own.   I wanted to ensure he felt respected.

“The chain of evil eyes, Madam ji.   See, if you look at me with an evil eye, and I blacken your face, you will look at me the same way again. The evil will keep coming back to me.   Instead if I ask God to bless you; I break the chain of evil eyes and black faces.   Better for me too, correct na”, he said it all in one breath.

Wow! Could breaking something ever be better?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous uma said...

that was indeed interesting.no doubt life does offer us lessons at the most unexpected places sometimes.wisdom has no bounds of occupation ,education or class

May 13, 2009 at 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Romy said...

Lovely encounter.

I wish you had taken a picture of the auto and the driver and posted it here.

Romy

May 13, 2009 at 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anshu said...

The title "Feel like breaking something" made me laugh. Then the beginning made me wonder, "where is this blog going? What is she trying to tell?" It all magically came together in the last paragraph. An interesting piece, I am going to share it with my kids.

May 14, 2009 at 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Ram said...

I have been thinking, in the spiritual sense, there are other sayings I have come across:

Hath Kar Wal aur Dil Yar Wal!

Something like- My hands should stay busy with work and my heart with God.

Another one- Ja Tera Rab rakha!
May God take care of you.

Love,
Papa

May 14, 2009 at 4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home